Wednesday, 2024-04-24, 11:17 PM
Welcome, Anonymous | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
MCE - Discussion board » Undubs & Translations » Things in Progress » うたわれるもの -portable- Project log ([Utawarerumono] -portable- / English translation (readonly))
うたわれるもの -portable- Project log
ムギDate: Sunday, 2014-01-26, 11:46 PM | Message # 1

It is now the time to announce this project out to the wild.

This game is one of my most sought after translation projects ever since a long time ago...
right there, next to Zill O'll Infinite plus and Magna Carta Portable.

Utawarerumono is by far my most favourite VN game to this day. I've played thought it many, many times and
it never stops being just as awesome as it was the first time i played it.

in the past time, i've started looking at this game multiple times, sometimes figuring out a little, and sometimes
just giving up and leaving it be again.

now that i've finally managed to figure it out on the most part, it's time for work.

in the past days i managed to extract and rebuild the main data archive (data.dar), figure out most of the graphics format (*.tpl), locate, dump and uncompress the game's script (*.p) and hence, it's time i can start working on it now.

to further speed things up:

I was in contact with ArchDemon of MirrorMoon (utawarerumono PC english translation) who kindly enough provided me with the translated script and the text editing tool for the game.

while the script isnt a 100% match in terms of data (it is very close) and the tool requires some modifications to be usable for the PSP version, this still saved up more than enough time.

Assuming i ever finish this patch, make sure to give credits where credits is due, and say thanks to ArchDemon and MirrorMoon for the generous contributions.

NOTE: All Graphics displayed on this thread represent various stages of testing and are most likely going to change before the final patch is done.

some bits of info:
------------------------------

--- TOOLS ---

exrebDAR: .dar archive unpacker / repacker for the main datafile of the game.
It currently has a bug that causes it not to update the uncompressed size of the files.
Current version: 1.10
Coded By: nuckable

exrebP: a php script to dump and uncompress/reinsert the game's main script.
Current version: 1.00
Coded By: nuckable

Precompile: an executable to convert Leaf's .P scritps to txt and back.
Currently supports full-width, half width, raw hex and some special tags for text insertion.
Current version: 3.10
Coded By: binaryfail

TPLcodec: experimental tool for converting TPL <-> TGA.
This tool was written to deal with Utawarerumono's .tpl fileformat. The tpl format contains multiple graphics types.
Current support covers all known modes;
  • 16color/256color 16x8 pixel tiled/swizzled graphics
  • 16bpp BGR565 swizzled format
  • BGRA Rawdata

TPLtoolset consists of 3 pieces.

TPLCodec version: 1.31
    TPLDump version: 1.10
    TPLCompile version: 1.00

TPLdump: reads a TPL header and generates a script to dump multiple files at once using TPLCodec.
    TPLcodec: handles image encoding and decoding based on given arguments.
    TPLcompile: generates a compile script to convert back to tpl using TPLcodec.

Coded By: PaulGuy.
    Modifications by: Mugi, Paulguy, Shakotay2. Further updates by binaryfail

Numerous other tools have also been programmed in order to deal with this game, the list consists of, but isnt limited to;
  • uta_indexdumper - this tool dumps and parses the graphic indexes for segmented graphic type.
  • uta_systex - this tool was made in order to reassemble the segmented graphics type into sane data for editing.
  • uta_rebuildcfg - this tool regenerates configurations for segmented graphics
  • TPLinject - this tool was made in order to speed up graphics handling when editing large TPL's as it allows injecting single image into the archive instead of rebuilding the entire file.

a comprehensive list of tools, their usage and sourcecodes will likely be released on a later date.
    (assuming i get arsed to document them properly)

--- DATA FORMATS ---
    there's 3 types of data i have to deal with

.dar data archive:
    reversed by Myself. I will document it properly on a later date.

.p scripts:
    reversed by Myself. I will document it properly on a later date.
    i am currently examining the possibility of adapting soypad to be used with the PSP version script files
    soypad is a textparser written by soylations for translating the PC version of the game.

.tpl graphics:
    reversed by Myself / paulguy. With assistance from shakotay2 ( XentaX ). I will document it properly on a later date.

moved the project log into a separate thread so that it'll update accordingly.
    This thread is locked so that only project updates come here.

discussion thread for this project is located at: http://mce.do.am/forum/19-46-1

Attachments: 5647091.png (156.7 Kb) · 3444255.png (6.4 Kb) · 9962049.png (9.0 Kb) · 9472881.png (162.8 Kb)

•  
    ムギDate: Sunday, 2014-01-26, 11:50 PM | Message # 2

-- official start.
    -- currently finishing up some tools and scripts with nuckable for easier working.

ムギDate: Sunday, 2014-01-26, 11:55 PM | Message # 3

Mental victory!
    what can be considered as a prototype image converter has been deployed.
    nothing that can be worked with yet though. However, IT DUMPS IMAGES!

ムギDate: Sunday, 2014-01-26, 11:56 PM | Message # 4

There's quite a major setback regarding the graphics files aside background images so far.
    the way they are tiled and arranged is just absurd, and it might take a little while to figure this one out.

Character renders and tpl's that make use of alpha channelling still dont function right, but in the meantime
    a correction for the basic decoder was made. Now automatically handles BGRA <-> RGBA palette conversion.

She's cute, isn't she? :3

ムギDate: Sunday, 2014-01-26, 11:57 PM | Message # 5

This game is called: "spot the new character!!"

On another note, not very beautiful since it's FULL WIDTH but it's a start. The script packer works great.
    I'll be examining ways to get a more smooth experience in use though.

More updates to TPLencdec.
    + support for new type of 16-color images (datatype 2)
    + encode mode separated from palette size, now allows all datatypes for all palette sizes.
    allows accessing battle UI resources.

- Current version v1.30

ムギDate: Sunday, 2014-01-26, 11:58 PM | Message # 6

Time goes so fast o.o

2 months with no updates ehh ?
    i know, it's not fair. But real life has taken over a little. And i need some real hobbies too,
    not just hacking games all the time.

this thing is basically as good as done anyways. The graphics injection work, the scipts work and so on..
    only issue that might arise is if the new script gets too large, as it's embedded into the main ELF
    and i REALLY dont want to start expanding the file x.x

on a side note, as seen on the test pic above, the font is FULL WIDTH and i am still working on that.
    i'd like to get it half width. The game has a mechanic to allow it, but i havent found the controls for
    that yet.

weeell....
    current progress looks like this.

a guy called binaryfail doesn't quite live up to his name i guess.
    that's far from a fail :P

in any case. A set of problems still exists in tis but it's starting to look pretty awesome.

Battle UI is also almost done, will update with pics once working smile
    Attachments: 8621105.png (139.7 Kb) · 6264762.png (140.8 Kb)

ムギDate: Tuesday, 2014-01-28, 2:17 AM | Message # 7

well, the battle UI got delayed by some massive failures on my end...
    (the hell TPLencdec was made such a mess to use anyway!?)

oh well, it does work now and here's some first screenshots.
    Mind you, these are the very first implementations i actually used. they will get refined a little to fix all sorts of
    alignment issues and whatnots.

Attachments: 3786593.png (191.1 Kb) · 9274149.png (173.1 Kb) · 4774256.png (175.3 Kb) · 3952972.png (209.7 Kb) · 2869542.png (216.9 Kb) · 3343758.png (222.6 Kb)

ムギDate: Friday, 2014-01-31, 0:11 AM | Message # 8

well, not like the game has too many images to translate to begin with, but it's going allright so far.
    Fixed the remaining alignment issues from the Battle UI and finished main menu.

I guess the red i used for the logo was a little dark afterall....
    Oh well..
    Attachments: 6806458.png (213.1 Kb) · 7148294.png (214.8 Kb)

ムギDate: Saturday, 2014-02-01, 5:26 PM | Message # 9

A little bit of new info about the graphics format was discovered,
    maybe it'll become a little easier to work with now.

also:

the new data allows access to character render graphics.

more

redid the logo, so it's a bit better looking now, and changed options from moonrunes into english smile

changes into:

Just in case someone was wondering, i am only working on graphics at the moment.
    The text engine needs a tiny bit more work, so i'll leave the script for when the engine is complete.

Edit2:

lol i was bored...
    clicky for full size

Attachments: 3577550.png (45.0 Kb) · 4149573.png (211.3 Kb) · 9193195.png (151.0 Kb) · 0574597.png (145.2 Kb) · 6098479.png (185.4 Kb)

ムギDate: Tuesday, 2014-02-04, 2:31 AM | Message # 10

Well, Im drunk as fuck and attempting to write some little modifications for the graphics decoder, TPLcodec.

The work on the game is going on pretty smoothly overall, I've finished with majority of the textures,
    only things left are some names, the battle map data and the "boss" names and scerario names.

it'll be an ass to do, the format is just like the character renders. It's editable, but not very straightforward..

In the meantime I remade options (changed item list to inventory, as it is), some UI related things, and main menu labels and the game is looking pretty nice I think.

well, not much more to say. The text engine is still being worked at by binaryfail, he's been busy with life too.

In any case, I'd love some feedback so leave a comment or 2, or just come see me at #ps2 @ irc.esper.net.
    while im doing this first and foremost for myself only, I'd still like it to be enjoyable for all the fans of Utawarerumono too...

MCE - Discussion board » Undubs & Translations » Things in Progress » うたわれるもの -portable- Project log ([Utawarerumono] -portable- / English translation (readonly))
    Search: