Sunday, 2024-04-28, 3:42 PM
Welcome, Anonymous | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
MCE - Discussion board » Undubs & Translations » Things in Progress » うたわれるもの -portable- Project log ([Utawarerumono] -portable- / English translation (readonly))
うたわれるもの -portable- Project log
ムギDate: Sunday, 2014-03-09, 9:45 PM | Message # 21

ムギDate: Saturday, 2014-03-15, 1:17 AM | Message # 22

What's propably the hardest of hacks done to the game (so far atleast) is now done and working

(graphics are test ones, not the final stuff)

the battle stage labels and the win/lose conditions required us to figure out and develop a tool for merging multiple images into one while generating corresponding segments and configurations for the GPU pixel mapping system the game uses.

after 9 revisions of the image merge/reassembler and couple days of layout testing and whatnots later, it be working. I've drawn most of the required 135 images now to translate everything into english and with this the single largest graphics folder is now almost done.

only one more folder to go (and redrawing some stuff for further improvements) and it's all done as far as graphics go.

for reference:
here's what the above image is actually like:

(that's 3 separate images btw.)

after it gets made like this it'll then get processed through TPLcodec to pack it into the silly graphics container the game uses. ....Man i just wish people used normal formats like .png or even .gim instead of stuff like this -_-

edit: oh, i forgot to mention that the pixel mapping configurations also have to be regenerated and patched to accomodate for the redrawn graphics :P

in any case, i finished drawing all the stage files, made and implemented new configurations for them and tomorrow i'll just patch the configuration addresses.
along with that, main menu got it's final look, and the key character labels were completely redone to match the font of the stage labels. Other little things were done too, and Basic started translating skill and item lists. which'll get implemented as soon as he's done with them.

Will post a couple new screenshots tomorrow :3
Attachments: 9935730.png (32.4 Kb)

ムギDate: Sunday, 2014-03-16, 4:37 PM | Message # 23

Some screenshots as per promise:

as per the previous post says, the past days and weeks and whatevers, were all spent on making this single thing happen, the stage labels. They are hands down the most complex part of hacking this game. That is all.

Now there's only one folder of images left, which'll get done when it gets done :P
aside that, we're finally at the point where the hard stuff is past us and we can just start typing out the actual game script.

We already tested the text hacks a long time ago and they all work just fine, so we left writing the text for when everything else was done.
Binaryfail did mention though that he might just write a new text editor instead of modifying mirrormoon's Pedit.
it became less and less convenient to use as we figured out more things from the script.

we'll see though....

- ムギ
Attachments: 2240623.png (211.3 Kb) · 9107559.png (212.0 Kb) · 7745477.png (159.9 Kb) · 6644337.png (216.5 Kb) · 6375940.png (211.5 Kb) · 8560825.png (223.3 Kb) · 4586640.png (191.9 Kb) · 8484131.png (189.5 Kb) · 6836342.png (223.3 Kb) · 4187074.png (189.2 Kb)

Message edited by ムギ - Sunday, 2014-03-16, 4:49 PM

ムギDate: Wednesday, 2014-03-19, 10:27 PM | Message # 24

Well, starting with the script will have to wait a day or two more :P
some extra mappings for Battle UI were dug up which allows finally fixing my last nuisances from it
(tech level was marked Tc because of lack of space for startrs >.<)

well, that shit is currently being fixed so all is good.
Battle UI character name mapping was also found, so they will look a little better on the final patch than on current screenshots. And yes, that also means that "ghoul" was renamed back to which is the actual name.

i haven't made a lot of sacrifises of quality overall, and after these 2 get fixed, there's even less of them.
Attachments: 8622794.png (3.4 Kb)

ムギDate: Saturday, 2014-03-22, 0:20 AM | Message # 25

My apologies for further delays.
As it stands, we discovered some unused data from the battle UI files and restoring this will have us
rebuild some graphics.

It appears that despite the game only using one name for each unit type (swordsman, rider, archer, magician)
a separate unit ID for all types was implemented into the code.

to rectify this we are adding back the assumably removed units such as troop commanders and allied / enemy unit types.

aside that, our firs implementation of a fully hacked battle UI worked nearly perfectly, and as such
all unit names, stats menus and whatever else that was badly hacked or othervise rather poorly done
will be looking way better than any current screenshot gives off.

Tc is now finally restored to Tech Lv. which it should be :P
battle submenus also have their correct labels now (action, magic-sub menus, items etc.)
it's still a little broken with all bad alignments of files and such, but i will post updated screenshots as soon as it has been fixed.

ムギDate: Sunday, 2014-03-23, 6:05 AM | Message # 26

Aside some persistent single images the whole system texture package (systex) is now fully hacked, fully redrawn and mostly tested to work too...

the silly amount of work we spent in finetuning the tiniest things is just over the top, but atleast we can finally be pleased with the results. I hope people appreciate it smile

We also restored back some unused pieces from the files, such as the different enemy units that were already made and all, but all of them were just linked back to the base units.

it's currently looking somewhat like this:
  • Swordsman -> Swordmaster -> Infantry Commander
  • Rider -> Elite Cavalry -> Cavalry Commander
  • Magician -> High Magician
  • Archer -> Bowmaster

the commander units and the second tier of enemy soldiers were implemented but taken out of use for some reason or another. We put them back in use smile

oh, and the blank menus are because the menu contents such as item lists are not yet translated,
    we nulled out the kanji table so any text thats in japanese appears blank.

anyway, here's a screenshot or 2 of what it looks like:

Attachments: 2191110.png (224.8 Kb) · 9084103.png (189.0 Kb) · 2974888.png (180.1 Kb) · 0370160.png (197.3 Kb) · 6504729.png (190.3 Kb) · 1599840.png (202.1 Kb) · 9381859.png (216.7 Kb)

•  
    ムギDate: Friday, 2014-03-28, 3:34 AM | Message # 27

another delay came along with the script stuff for now,
    we started looking for some stray image data and ended up having to reverse the last unknown graphics format,
    with it, some additional material to translate and redraw was found and i will start working on those as soon as binaryfail finishes updating TPLcodec for the new datatype.

it shouldn't be anything major but a delay is a delay.

Meantime Basic is currently working on translating the items list, and the last image folder that was yet undone.

items list implementation tests were fine though, and aside some text alignment problems it's currently fully working.

here's a pic of current looks (mind you text aligns, item names and whatever you see are test data and in no way represent the final result)

Attachments: 7223741.png (209.0 Kb)

ムギDate: Friday, 2014-03-28, 5:57 PM | Message # 28

really now....
    i was aware that sony places strict rules of sexual content for playstation games....
    but this... -__-

above is the psp version and below is the pc version.

really now sony.. really.

on a side note, I updated the first post a little regarding the tools, for those that are interested of that stuff.
    (no source releases yet though)
    Attachments: 0314078.png (267.5 Kb) · 1990512.png (268.0 Kb) · 3124672.png (207.5 Kb) · 7964635.png (212.6 Kb)

ムギDate: Tuesday, 2014-04-01, 1:17 AM | Message # 29

We're facing some more or less gamebreaking (or projectbreaking) difficulties at the moment, hence the slow end on the project updates.

the current status is more or less that the main executable isnt working, something is horribly horribly wrong with the way it was expanded and it's currently under examination.

will try and keep you up to date on whats happening, assuming someone even reads this thread :P

- ムギ

ムギDate: Sunday, 2014-04-06, 4:29 AM | Message # 30

Carelessness, we have it.

it turns out that our gamebreaking flaw was just another typo, similar to what happened earlier and already gave us a week worth of headaches.
    This bug involved an incorrectly patched systemcall on a script file that caused aruruw's graphics to not load at all.
    it's now been found and patched and all is good, so we are back at work.

First script implementations using the new P reassembler were a success, and our little modification worked great too.

By default in this game, scripts strings that are Hakuoro's thoughts are represented as sentences wrapped in brackets. It looks dull and so on.... i never liked it, so i ditched the whole thing and we implemented a second font into the game to rectify this. Now the lines that are Hakuoro's thoughts (or him speaking to himself, however you look at it) are represented as text written in italics. I'll post some images about that once we have the reassembler fully working and a sane piece of test data out of it.
    the font used for that is the exact same font the game natively uses, so there will be no weird 2-font things going on.

I do realize that not everyone is going to like this change, but can't please everyone i guess.. we honestly believe it'll improve the game, and hence we decided to go forward with it.

MCE - Discussion board » Undubs & Translations » Things in Progress » うたわれるもの -portable- Project log ([Utawarerumono] -portable- / English translation (readonly))
    Search: